Monday, January 18, 2010

I've never been more proud of my country

Needless to say, I am INCREDIBLY thankful to be here! It's been a wild trip so far and I've already learned a lot. Here's a short rundown of my most memorable life lessons thus far:

1. MRE's are NOT that bad! I tried a delicious "Spicy Penne Pasta with Vegetable and Sausage" and LOVED it.

2. You don't get much warning when traveling with the Air Force. As you may have noticed, our plans have changed about every hour since we arrived at 6 am on Saturday morning. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've packed and repacked my small backpack.

3. It's wonderful traveling with all men. They have extra room in their suitcases for the things I couldn't fit in mine, I always get to be first in line, and they are most definitely entertaining!

4. The Air Force is beyond a well-oiled machine. I have never been more proud of my country and truly understand the sacrifices these men and women make everyday. They do it simply because they love their country. I think everyone should be able to have this opportunity, their pride is contagious.

5. I will forever appreciate any airline, even sketchy ones. Not that I haven't enjoyed my transportation, but a C-130 is all about function, not comfort. When I asked where the womens restroom was, I was pointed in the direction of a curtain and a bucket. No joke.


We are here to report on the Dyess Airmen and women and I have to say, they make my job very easy. These men and women are unbelievable. When a job needs to be done, they do it. We have been treated like Kings and Queens and they make us feel so welcome. I will forever be indebted to Dyess for giving me the most incredible experience I've ever had. I look forward to sharing more insight into our adventure, but it's time to turn in for the night! We are Haiti-bound tomorrow, FINALLY! I am so unbelievably thankful for the opportunity to be going and I promise to bring as much back with me as I possibly can. Bon Voyage!

Check out more pics of our trip in a slideshow here: http://bigcountryhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=209982

Katherine Lane (written Sunday at 11:22 p.m.)
_

No comments:

Post a Comment