Monday, November 9, 2009

Lamar Grad: Do I Root Against Abilene High?

VFND - Viking Fight Never Dies...

It's one of the mottos of Lamar High School in Arlington, TX.

I grew up going to Lamar football games. It was the "it" thing to do on Friday nights in town. It was the place to be seen. It was the place to see girls. It was what you looked forward to all week.

I went on to play quarterback and lead the team that I once dreamed of being a part of as a kid in grade school.

Wait, that's not true at all...

However, I did root for the team from the comfort of the bleachers behind my bass drum. I'd scream and yell after every touchdown...wear far more yellow sweatshirts than any teenager should own...and I may have even shed a tear after we lost in the first round of the playoffs my senior year.

It's been more than a decade since those days. They're fond memories...but they're memories. They aren't right now. Now, I live in Abilene.

VFND - Viking Fight Never Dies...or does it?

I couldn't help but smile when I read that Abilene High would play Lamar at Cowboys Stadium. First, what an awesome opportunity for all the students of Abilene High to experience Cowboys Stadium. Secondly, AHS is battling my old school. Who am I supposed to root for?

I called home to tell my mother about it. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hey mom, Abilene High is going to face Lamar in the playoffs!"
Mom: "Lamar made the playoffs? But they aren't any good."

The heart of my viking fight started to slow down a little....

When I told David Robinett I went to Lamar and briefly considered going to the game, he told me it wouldn't be any fun to watch my old school get destroyed.

My viking fight went on life support.

I've always been a bandwagon kind of guy...and I can admit it. When the Dallas Mavericks became a good team, I started to like them. When Michael Jackson died, I pulled out the old MJ albums. And when Abilene High battles Lamar, I can't help but root for....Abilene High. What can I say? I'm a fan of a good story. Abilene High winning and advancing the playoffs is the beginning of a great story.

My viking fight died. Time of death 5:57 p.m., November 9, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment